shelter of the month
Here are just a few of the ways that Alive Rescue is keeping it green and animal-friendly in their operations -
At Foster Homes
- All dog foster homes are supplied with bio-degradable poop bags.
- All cat foster homes are supplied with eco-friendly cat litter.
- All eating utensils are bio-degradable or re-usable.
- Recycling bins are set up at all events.
- Only vegetarian and vegan dishes are served.
- Gift bags are re-usable canvas bags or 100% recycled paper bags.
- Only environmentally-friendly and/or recyclable materials are purchased, from cleaners to dog toys.
- Animals in their care receive only high-quality food to promote their health and reduce waste.
- All appliances are energy-efficient.
- All paper waste is recycled.
- A paperless fax number reroutes correspondence through e-mail.
- ALIVE’s marketing material is printed on recycled paper using vegetable based ink.
In Chicago, Alive Rescue is able to work with and receive charitable contributions from a number of wonderful vegan, vegetarian, and vegetarian-friendly restaurants, including The Chicago Diner, Handlebar, Awake Café, Piece Pizza, and RP Catering and Events.
In appreciation for Alive Rescue's efforts to maintain a veg menu policy and for adopting measures to make theirs a sustainable organization, Animal Place is delighted to recognize Alive Rescue as our April 2015 SHELTER OF THE MONTH. Congrats to their staff and volunteers in both Chicago and Memphis! As a token of our gratitude, we'd like to help shine a light on one special friend they're seeking to place.
Sheffield is a 6 month old, mixed breed, from Memphis, TN. ALIVE Rescue met Sheffield when they went down to rescue dogs from West Memphis Animal Shelter (WMAS). Sheffield had been found by the WMAS staff hiding in an abandoned trailer. They tried to catch him for over two weeks. When they were finally able to catch him, Sheffield had a collar that was so badly embedded in his neck that it had to be surgically removed. Through the care of veterinarians in Memphis and with our own vets at Roscoe Village Animal Hospital, Sheffield is on the mend. Despite everything that Sheffield has been through, he is so sweet and loving. Sometimes he is still a bit nervous, but he is becoming more and more comfortable everyday! Sheffield loves other dogs and would be a great addition to any household.
To adopt Sheffield, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.